Far too often, we all get so consumed in this routined life that we forget how important it is to take a break or vacation. It doesn't matter what kind of break you take, it is important to take a vacation from the job, the daily routines, and the general demands of life in order for our minds and bodies to keep functioning well.
Few benefits of taking a vacation include:
- Taking a vacation can lead to sharper thinking, and increase creativity. This makes us better at our jobs, more available in our relations, and more supportive.
- Environmental psychologists have observed that the good vibes you bring back from vacation, rub off on the people around you.
- It strengthen relationships (family, friends, and etc.). A vacation with love ones is a great way to spend time together and create memories.
- It is a great opportunity to meet new people, have fun and enjoy some the things you love.
- Vacations interrupt the cycle of stress that can cause being overwhelmed.
- Vacations makes you happy with life in general.
Instead of relying solely on vacations for breaks all the time, we could also distract ourselves temporarily while dealing with daily challenges, when we cannot afford to go on a vacation. By distraction, I mean engaging ourselves with something that truly takes our minds off. There are lots of options out there for taking a break or things we can use as a distraction. Some activities you don’t even have to spend a dime on.
- A walk
- Bike riding
- Enjoying a movie
- Reading a book
- 5 minute meditation session
- Even a day at home without social media and electronic devices.
Taking breaks may sometimes feel like running away; however, it is a way to refresh ourselves enabling us to take on the world again. You owe this to yourself and remember, your physical and mental health should ALWAYS be a priority.